Thursday, February 29, 2024

Feb 29– "Hermann and Dorothea" (1797) by Goethe translated by Ellen Frothingham

 No music

Feb 29– Hermann and Dorothea (1797) by Goethe translated by Ellen Frothingham

Summary: Boy and girl want to get married. Boy's dad not happy. They get married in the end.

Commentary: I admit I'm kind of rushed on this one. I think what sticks out the most is how differently Hermann speaks from Dorothea. She sounds relatively "normal" while he sounds like he's permanently tipping his fedora. Sometimes hard to tell with these kinds of things in an older/translated work, but it stands out.

I was really expecting Dorothea to be the one who proposed, since it's Leap Day. I appreciate that we got a reading for today , but I feel like Elliot could've been a little more fun/thematic about it. This kind of falls into a generic "good romance poem" category.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...