Thursday, August 15, 2024

Aug 15– From "The Song of Roland" translated by John O’Hagan

 There were a lot of good musical choices for this one

Aug 15– From The Song of Roland translated by John O’Hagan

Summary: RIP Roland

Commentary: Translated, tells a story, and fewer awkward rhymes than most of the "regular" poems in T5FSOB. Truly, a work of art. Although (I'm not up on my French) I'm not sure everything here rhymes


"My Olivier, my chosen one, Thou wert the noble Duke Renier's son, Lord of the March unto Rivier vale. To shiver lance and shatter mail, The brave in council to guide and cheer, To smite the miscreant foe with fear, Was never on earth such cavalier."


Isn't that Oh-live-ee-ay? I don't think Olive-Ear is a name. Rivier (is that just a fancy river?)

 That said, I have to respect the anonymous poet(s) for killing off their title character at the end of part two of a three section poem. What happens now? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...