Monday, August 5, 2024

Aug 5–“Cotters’ Saturday Night” (1786) by Robert Burns

 Illustrated AND read aloud!

“Cotters’ Saturday Night” (1786) by Robert Burns

Summary: Buuurrrrrrnnnnnnsssss

Commentary: The timing on this one is weird. For my part, I just got done promising I'd not rush the readings this week, let them marinate, etc. And then I get a Burns poem. Usually I read the first half page or so of a Burns selection to make sure he still sucks, skim the rest, fill in the blog. I can only tolerate so much non-English/garbage poetry in one night. I soldiered through and read (and listened, since poems are usually better aloud) this one a little more closely. 

I wrote a whole paragraph about how Eliot should've picked this for a Saturday, before realizing that Saturdays shift (unless we go to a fixed calendar!) but he also could've put it in last week on its own publication date. He did note that today is Burns's anniversary. Had I not had a brain fart about the Saturday thing, I'd probably have accepted that as a good enough reason without thinking about the publication date part.

In terms of the actual reading, I still don't "get" Burns. Some of it, I assume, is the language issue. The "Scots dialect"/borderline EME is a pain to read. Even with "translation" it feels pretty straightforward in meaning (quiet country life and family good) and it doesn't have any particular lyricism, clever rhyme, imagery, etc. I feel like, if anything, it'd work better as a straight flash piece (or maybe prose poem) about the evening. I still don't know that it'd be good but I'm imaging it as kind of comfy. In his stronger moments:
But hark! a rap comes gently to the door;
Jenny, wha kens the meaning o the same;
Tells how a neebor lad came o'er the moor,
To do some errands, and convoy her hame.
The wily mother sees the conscious flame
Sparkle in Jenny's e'e, and flush her cheek;
With heart-struck anxious care, inquires his name,
While Jenny hafflins is afraid to speak;
Weel-pleas'd the mother hears, it's nae wild, worthless rake.

He's kind of cute. If it wasn't crammed into an awkward poem, you could get a nice paragraph about a girl bringing a boy home here. Burns would probably still be sloppy but, "A gentle rap comes to the door." would be a bit of an improvement. 

He's like the poetry version of Thomas Kincaid. Everything is pretty and blurry, without anything to think about.

It's got a reference to the famous mouse poem in "The miry beasts retreating frae the pleugh." I guess it's good at least that I learned enough about Burns to recognize his references to himself? 

I really tried on this one, but it's still bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...