Monday, January 1, 2024

Introduction

    New Year, New Blog! Late last year, the singularity that is the YouTube Algorithm threw a video about "THE DEATH OF EDUCATION" or some such up in my feed (I think it was this one it's...fine?). I could go on for days about the current live/death/undeath of education, but that's not the point of this blog. The video turned me onto  The Harvard Classics Five Foot Bookshelf (which is still a solid title 100+ years later). Several hours of Wikipedia, blogs, and Internet Archive later, I found out that (in addition to the full 23,000 page library) there were a variety of reading guides that were published with it over the years. One of the most prominent ones (eventually included in most editions) was a "15 Minutes a Day" guide. That seemed fun and reasonable as a starting point, so here we are. Every day (as best as I can) I'll grab the relevant excerpt, paste it into the Google Doc here, read (and maybe comment) it, and then put my thoughts (and probably an excerpt or two) here in the blog. Enjoy following along, and hopefully we'll all learn something!

    Resources:

1. Harvard Classics Wikipedia entry

2. The reading list I'm using (with links to all the readings)

3. The Google Doc I'll be updating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...