Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Jan 30– Antigone by Sophocles, translated by F. Storr

 One of the songs is called Antigone

Reading

Jan 30– Antigone by Sophocles, translated by F. Storr

Summary: I'm going to steal the body of independence.

Commentary: Wasn't able to get a decently formatted copy of the "right" translation. This one is actually from 1912, so a few years too new to be included in T5FSOB

It's pronounced, "Ann-Tig-Oh-Knee" not "Anti-Gone" in case you were wondering.

I think I read Oedipus Rex (probably an adaptation) in high school, but not Antigone. I remember liking it well enough. I was really impressed by Antigone though. (At least in this translation) the rhythm, dialogue, etc. really sparks. The iambic pentameter gives it a nice Shakespearean vibe. I don't think I actually read any of the histories, and now I kind of want to. Shakespeare doing ancient Rome, vs ancient Greece sort of doing Shakespeare. I'll have to read the whole Oedipus trilogy now I guess.

Like some of the other Greek dramas, it's impressive how many tropes are already starting to come into form, and how self aware they are. The guard running for it before he gets executed by the villain is great. I also just love the whole setup. "I'm going to go steal my brother's body so he can get a proper burial," is an awesome story concept, and I can't really think of ever reading anything else like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...