Tuesday, January 9, 2024

January 9th– Sir Francis Drake Revived (compiled by Philip Nichols)

 Turn of the (17th) century music

Reading

Summary: Sir Francis Drake sneaks into a town and chases out the Spaniards, but is wounded. His men choose to save him (rather than the loot in the town) when Spanish reinforcements arrive. Fortunately, they had previously captured a ship full of wine, and manage to sail away with it.

Commentary: "Calling upon this dull or effeminate Age, to follow his noble steps for gold and silver." This is the reverse of "may you live in interesting times." I'm not sure how I feel about it. Gendered language aside, I think we could all afford to be a bit less dull and a bit more silver stepped.

This reading also has the excellent phrase, "even the fly hath her spleen," which I'm going to try to start using conversationally.

Beyond that, this is a fun little real life swashbuckling story. Two parts guts; one part smarts is the ideal plan ratio. I don't have a ton of insight (it's also pretty short), but I love a good age of sail adventure. There's entirely too many of them on my bookshelves, but it's cool to read a real life one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...