Saturday, February 17, 2024

Reflections on Week 6 (Feb 5-11)

Link to this week's readings

Delayed a bit by getting sick last weekend, but I still didn't miss a day! 

Quick review on this week's readings:

5th Sinbad from The 1001 Nights: 4/5 A fun, if slightly goofy in a few places, adventure story.

6th Edward The Second by Marlowe: 5/5 I love Marlowe. Also, great choice of scene by Eliot here. I was a little iffy on starting at the end of the play, but we got some good hammy villainy, a comeuppance, and a head on pike! What more could you ask for?

7th Letter to The Right Honorable Early of Chesterfield: 2/5 I guess we're supposed to think it's clever that he sarcastically is telling Chesterfield to shove it since he was successful in spite of him.

8th Burns: 0/5 Please stop.

9th Germany by Tacitus: 3/5 As far as these "real places as fantasy kingdoms" type entries go, this one wasn't quite up to some of the others. Still interesting and informative.

10th Letters from England by Voltaire: 2/5 Very rambly

11th Discourse on Method by Descartes: 2/5 I think I just don't care for the French philosophers.

Weekly average 2.6 Well, it started off good. Can't really do anything about Burns, and the French philosophers in general have leaned into overstating kind of meh thoughts.


Overall Thoughts on The Project:

No deep takeaways this week. I'm just glad I was able to keep up with at least the readings when I got sick, even if I had to go back and redo some commentary. This project turned into a kind of an accidental New Years Resolution, and I feel good about keeping it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...