Monday, March 11, 2024

Mar 11– “Compensation” (1841) by Ralph Waldo Emerson

No Music

Mar 11– “Compensation” (1841) by Ralph Waldo Emerson 

Summary: Balance, karma, duality, etc. 

Commentary: I've read a little Emerson (and some other Transcendentalism in general) before this. What strikes me the most about it is how similar it is to the (pop culture version of) a lot of Eastern philosophy. I wonder how much, if any, exposure he had.

EDIT: I went back and read the rest of "Compensation" and Emerson provide some solid quotes for his ideas from Western culture, so probably more a case of convergent evolution. I wonder why the selection cuts so early here. The middle third is really the best, and it's short enough Eliot could've included the entire essay and kept within the length we've seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...