Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Mar 13– "I Promessi Sposi (The Betrothed)" by Allessandro Manzoni (1827) Translator unknown

No Music

Mar 13– I Promessi Sposi (The Betrothed) by Allessandro Manzoni (1827) Translator unknown

Summary: Some kind of negotiation between nobles and priests? We're picking up in the middle here. Something about trying to get the woman he likes not to marry another man.

Commentary: This is one where the edition here is probably quite different than you'd read today. Apparently several editions were published around the same time (I think this one is 1844) by different translators, all of varying qualities (and based on different editions of the original text). I sometimes think about switching to a more modern version of selections like these, but I've decided to stick with the originals unless they're particularly unreadable or inaccessible. Will probably find this one in a more modern version.

I really enjoy the voice in this one. I'd describe it as wise, but informal. 

The proverb was not exactly to the purpose, but the Count had cited it instead of another, which had crossed his mind: ‘The wolf changes its skin, but not its nature.’

Very fun, but also you can feel your brain working on it a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...