Thursday, May 2, 2024

May 2nd– Faraday’s Lecture on Magnetism and Electricity (1873)

 Safety First!

May 2nd– Faraday’s Lecture on Magnetism and Electricity (1873) 

Summary: Magnets, how do they work?

Commentary: I'd been waiting for one of these with some interest. So far, the only science I've gotten is a bit of Darwin, who is better as a travel/cultural writer. Now that we get into some hard science, I was curious to see how much of it holds up today, 150+ years later. This one is less of a direct science article, and more of a guide to a lecture, which is pretty cool. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a recording of anyone recreating these, although I did for another set he did on candles and chemistry.



I like the illustrations in this, clean and very... illustrative. Also, the little bracket notes on "wave this here" or "show this again" are cute. Obviously, the effect is lost somewhat on paper vs actually seeing it. It is a new format we haven't seen yet though, so points for variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...