Monday, May 6, 2024

Revenge of The Sixth: Star Wars Classics: "From The Adventures of Luke Skywalker"

 Doing another one of these since I went back and finished the novelization of the original Star Wars last week. I should probably spin them off into another blog, but I don't have the time/energy to set up a new one tonight.

This is gonna be short. It's not very good. Foster was not a good writer for these. Not because he's a bad writer, he's just not in the pulpy/fun realm that Star Wars wants to be in. I've heard his Alien is good, and I think he'd be a better fit for that. Besides author mismatch, it also suffers from the "almost like the movie" weirdness where things are off just a little (I don't think R2D2 has wheels) in a way that's more unsettling than interesting. It's also based on an earlier version of the story, which means you have weird stuff like the Luke's first trench run at the end that doesn't fulfill any purpose.

Overall: 2/5 Probably worth a read if you're a big Star Wars or movie novelization fan (it's short!) but not a great book on its own merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...