Saturday, June 8, 2024

June 9– David’s Psalms, American Standard Version translation (1901)

Which paradise // do you prefer? ("Gangsta's Paradise" is on the very short list of songs where I like the original as much as I do the Weird Al)

 June 9– David’s Psalms, American Standard Version translation (1901)

Summary: Songs about God Jehova.

Commentary: I feel like the psalms are in general under appreciated, at least in modern mainline Protestant Christianity. You sing one between the readings, and... that's it? I don't think I've ever heard a sermon that focused on the psalm, maybe a little mention here and there. It's also interesting how heavily the intros and other related material in T5FSOB emphasizes the Hebrew character of The Old Testament/Psalms. I feel like that's something that gets kind of ignored in a lot of modern discourse. They're not (originally) books that Christians and Jews share, but Jewish books that Christians decided to accept.

I like that lovingkindness is all one word, since it's one word in the Hebrew I guess? Google even accepts the spelling as correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...