Monday, July 22, 2024

July 22– From "The Odyssey" by Homer translated by S.H. Butcher and A. Lang

I think I posted this before, but it got taken down.

July 22– From The Odyssey by Homer translated by S.H. Butcher and A. Lang

Summary: NOMAN kills the Cyclops.

Commentary: I'm actually working on a series of posts on The Odyssey, since my stepdaughter is reading it, so I'll save most of my thoughts on this section in general for there. A couple notes on this specific version.

I really appreciate the same paragraph footnotes. Usually they're out of section or way way out there and I just get rid of them. 

The traditional Outis/Nemo is translated here as Noman, rather than the more common "Nobody." This gives it a real Lord of The Rings flair.

Finally:

image

Exactly how I picture it when the men hide under the sheep to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 5– “University Life at Athens” by John Henry Newman (1852)

  Mars University Oct 5– “University Life at Athens” by John Henry Newman (1852) Summary: A lot of people went to university at Athens. Comm...