Wednesday, July 24, 2024

July 24– From "The Voyage of The Beagle" by Charles Darwin (1839)

 I Feel The Earth Move

July 24– From The Voyage of The Beagle by Charles Darwin (1839)

Summary:

Commentary: I learned that a mayor-domo is a thing, and not just a misspelling of majordomo. I don't know that fact will ever come up in my life, I just think it's good to note that I'm still learning stuff from these.

 To a person who had formerly known them, it possibly might have been still more impressive; for the ruins were so mingled together, and the whole scene possessed so little the air of a habitable place, that it was scarcely possible to imagine its former condition

This makes me want to read an account of the same from someone who did live there. Sometimes a more distance perspective is helpful, but Darwin wouldn't know as much. It would be interesting to see them together.

Captain Fitzroy also has an account, but we get it second hand through Darwin, and it's not clear how familiar he is with the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 5– “University Life at Athens” by John Henry Newman (1852)

  Mars University Oct 5– “University Life at Athens” by John Henry Newman (1852) Summary: A lot of people went to university at Athens. Comm...