Friday, August 30, 2024

Aug 30– "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius translated by George Long

 This is some interesting weird/creepy CG

Aug 30– Meditations by Marcus Aurelius translated by George Long

Summary: Do stuff. Be honest with yourself.

Commentary: I enjoy Marcus Aurelius overall, but not a huge fan of this translation. Even for the time (1862) the language is unnecessarily archaic. Being needlessly old-fashioned and wordy doesn't feel very Stoic to me.

I think #11 is my favorite from today's section:

11. About what am I now employing my own soul? On every occasion I must ask myself this question, and inquire, What have I now in this part of me which they call the ruling principle? and whose soul have I now,—that of a child, or of a young man, or of a feeble woman, or of a tyrant, or of a domestic animal, or of a wild beast?

How are you living your life? Is it consistent with what you want to be? A lot of Meditations revolves around this theme of being yourself, doing what's right for you, etc., but I think this is (out of this selection/translation) the best presentation of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...