Monday, August 12, 2024

Reflections on Week 32 (Aug 5-11)

       Link to readings

And back to normal.

Quick review on this week's readings:

Aug 5 "Cotter's Saturday Night" by Burns: 1/5 Highest scoring Burns poem!

Aug 6 “Locksley Hall” by Tennyson: 3/5 Goodish poetry after garbage.

Aug 7 Phaedo by Plato: 1/5 Socratic dialogues are the worst form of writing ever invented.

Aug 8 The Odyssey by Homer: 3/5 I think the Circe chunk of The Odyssey is one of the most poorly interpreted in all of literature.

Aug 9 The Life of Dr. Donne by Walton: 1/5 The worst biographies you'll ever read.

Aug 10 Reflections on The Revolution in France by Burke: 2/5 This feels like two incomplete selections squished together, but it's kind of interesting.

Aug 11 The Golden Sayings of Epictetus by Crossley: 2/5 I still don't love that this is in the collection, but this selection had some good/interesting parts.

Average: 1.85 This week was a grind.

Overall Thoughts on The Project:

Back to the "a little ahead" schedule, and I'm liking it. I got this week's Star Wars post started, did some Odyssey, and am up a little for the main readings. It's a good fit, not a big rush, time to think, timely readings. But also a little buffer for busy days.

I'm far enough in the year to start seeing the last of some of the "bad" readings. BURNSSSSS is still with me, but I'm out of Walton's Lives at least. Really looking forward to not having to shove through them again. Not sure if I'm out of dialogues, but no more by Plato at least. I don't think I've ever seen a more asinine form of writing. "I'm going to set up an argument between someone who I've already decided is right, and someone I've decided is wrong. Then I'll convince the wrong person with the right person!" It's like winning a card game where you know what's in everyone else's hand. It's fine to address common disagreements to your point of view, but don't pretend you're having a real discussion and set up all this nonsense. Just say, "Some people think this. This is why that's wrong," and get on with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...