Monday, September 2, 2024

Sep 2– From "All For Love" by John Dryden (1677)

 A different "All For Love"

Sep 2– From All For Love by John Dryden (1677)

Summary: Everyone dies.

Commentary: I feel like whenever I have a night where I don't have a lot of time to work, I get a play. I'm sure it's one of those things where I only remember the times it's a play, not an actual trend. Couldn't find a full performance of this one, so at least it was quickish to read. The plays are by far the hardest things for me to parse (even the weirdly convoluted translations of Greek and Roman philosophy are easier). I think some of this is the inherent difficult in reading vs seeing a play, and some of it is that they're denser, so there's less "cushion" to help me figure out a scene from the middle of one than of a novel. This is especially true since a lot of the fiction in T5FSOB is very episodic (Don Quixote) or a collection of stand alone stories (fables, fairytales, etc.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...