Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sep 29– From "The Sayings of Confucius"

 I think I posted the MA versions of this already.

Sep 29– From The Sayings of Confucius

Summary: Be a good son. Also, humility.

Commentary: Apparently these are usually translated as the Analects. I can't find any information about this translation anywhere, which is unusual. Usually the translator is listed. If not, I can try to match it to an existing one, but the translation here doesn't match any of the others I can find from that time period. Even the Bartleby version isn't quite the same. This is another one when I wish Eliot would've grouped similar readings together. Comparing this with Meditations or the Enchiridion maybe Franklin's virtues would've been interesting. On the whole, I feel like these are a little more "obey your elders" and "serve your country" than the others. The format is also a little different, almost like a dialogue. I think the love parts are most interesting:

The Master said: "A friend to love, a foe to evil, I have yet to meet. A friend to love will set nothing higher. In love's service, a foe to evil will let no evil touch him. Were a man to give himself

to love, but for one day, I have seen no one whose strength would fail him. Such men there may be, but I have not seen one."

 I don't recall seeing anything like this in the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised by Arthur Hugh Clough

Accurate reproduction of Athenian reactions to Demosthenes Oct 4– From “Demosthenes” from Plutarch’s Lives translated by Dryden and revised ...