Friday, October 9, 2026

Bacon's Essays (1625? Edition) Dedication and 1 (Truth)

Bacon's Essays (1625? Edition)

Bonus: 

Somehow, we were assigned A Few Good Men in 7th or 8th grade. Maybe it was just excerpts?

Summary: Truth is good, but lies can be fun (as long as you don't believe them).

Commentary: 

This is going to be kind of like Fruits of Solitude, but with one number for the whole set instead of one per maxim. I think.

This is the oldest (actual prose) I've read so far (dating back to the 1500s, ) in the reading. Some of the Greek stuff is older, but it's translated into (oldish) modern English instead of EME. I'll manage, but it will slow me down a bit.. Also, gratuitous Latin.

One of the fathers, in great severity, called poesy vinum daemonum, because it fireth the imagination; and yet, it is but with the shadow of a lie. 

POETRY IS DEMON WINE!

 I like Bacon's distinction here between poetry, fantasy, etc. A lot of the "truthiness" writers wind up ranting about how plays are evil or something, but we can all be adults and realize Jack Nicholson isn't actually a murderous hotel custodian, asylum patient, colonel, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bacon's Essays 2 (Death)

  On Death Bonus:  But why no audio? Summary:  Dying isn't as bad as it looks. Commentary:  It's like the whole (non-bullshit parts ...