Monday, March 18, 2024

Mar 18– "A New Way to Pay Old Debts" (~1625) by Philip Massinger

 I have no idea what this is.

Mar 18– A New Way to Pay Old Debts (~1625) by Philip Massinger

Summary: Two guys get throne of out a bar. They're broke. One of them is in love. Sir Giles Overreach is a con man/extortionist. 

Commentary: I'm going to have to make a list of all these plays I can't find recordings of and go bug the theatre department or library at all the colleges around. That or go on a bunch of road trips or something to see them live. Even modern theater is kind of rough to read, let alone something from 400 years ago. I was so hopeful when we started on page 1 too,  finding the section in the play in the recording is the hardest part. We don't actually get to Overreach, who is the most famous part of the play, making this a puzzling selection. He appears to be a cross between Dick Dastardly and Shylock, with mustache twirling evil, but also financial scammery.

Over: I'll therefore buy some cottage near his manor,
Which done, I'll make my men break ope his fences,
Ride o'er his standing corn, and in the night
Set fire on his barns, or break his cattle's legs:
These trespasses draw on suits, and suits expenses,
Which I can spare, but will soon beggar him.
When I have harried him thus two or three year,
Though he sue in forma pauperis, in spite
Of all his thrift and care, he'll grow behindhand.
Definitely twirling his mustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...