Monday, March 18, 2024

Reflections on Week 11 (Mar 11 to Mar 17)

 Link to this week's readings

Back to being a little ahead again!

Quick review on this week's readings:

Mar 11 "Compensation" by Emerson: 3/5 This one was better than I expected. I'm not a huge Emerson fan, but this one was solid, especially in the middle third. Interesting to look at how similar philosophies have existed in different regions, cultures, and time periods.

Mar 12 "Second Dialogue" by Berkeley: 2.5/5 Garbage philosophy in preening style. That said, T5FSOB isn't just supposed to be "good" stuff, it's supposed to show what/how we've thought over the years, and Berkeley's philosophy is still taught today. Contrasts with some of the other philosophical bits we've read.

Mar 13  I Promessi Sposi (The Betrothed) by  Manzoni: 2/5 I don't even remember reading this one. My notes sound decent though.

Mar 14 Le Morte d’Arthur by Thomas Malory: 2/5 Slightly better than the previous selection from Malory. Still felt rushed/lacking. I blame the translation. 

Mar 15 Caesar by Plutarch: 2.5/5 This was fine, and I get why it goes on the ides, but didn't thrill me.

Mar 16 The Voyage of The Beagle by Darwin: 5/5 I learned about giant horror crabs and they sounded cool!

Mar 17 "The Poetry of The Celtic Races" by Renand: 3/5 I waffled on this one a lot. First I was 2/5, why are we letting the French explained Ireland, but if it hadn't been on Saint Patrick's Day, I probably would've given it a 4, since I did learn quite a bit. Settled on the 3.

Weekly Average: 2.85 Started kinda iffy, but closed strong!

Overall Thoughts on The Project:

Honestly? I think I was half asleep for like half the readings last week. I skimmed back over my notes and barely remembered Berkeley and Malory, and totally forgot Manzoni (who I put Irish music for initially?)

That said, I think Renand comes close to being a model text for this kind of activity. Compresses multiple related stories into one coherent entry, provides enough detail to be interesting without bogging down, taught me some cool stuff I never new. I'd probably read his blog today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...