Tuesday, April 30, 2024

April 30th– Washington’s First Inaugural Address (1789) (Z is for zeroeth)

He'll kick you apart, he'll kick you apart!


Summary: Just when he thought he was out, they pulled him back in!

Commentary: If George Washington was a computer, he's start counting at zero. Checkmake, oneists.

By the article establishing the executive department it is made the duty of the President "to recommend to your consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." [...]

Besides the ordinary objects submitted to your care, it will remain with your judgment to decide how far an exercise of the occasional power delegated by the fifth article of the Constitution is rendered expedient at the present juncture by the nature of objections which have been urged against the system, or by the degree of inquietude which has given birth to them.

    The call out to specific amendments and duties is what I find most interesting here. First, because I feel like it's only done in a very general way now, "blah blah freedom of speech, blah blah, religious liberty," as opposed to Washington's discussion of specific duties (with quotes!).

    Now, I think that's partially due to our second reason, which was how much less he had to know. The constitution (with current amendments, so even longer) is under 8000 words. The foreign aid bill that passed the house two weeks ago is longer than that.

    I don't know that I want to espouse the theory that the entire laws of a country should be limited to 10,000 words or so, but I can certainly see its advantages.


And that's AtoZ! Thanks to everyone who stopped in to read or comment, I hope you enjoyed and/or learned something. I assume I have to do a wrap up post or something later, so maybe I'll see you then. I think I tried a little harder on the blog the last couple weeks, especially when things with the new house were crazy. Always good to have a little extra push. I found a couple fun blogs that I look forward to following going forward, at https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/ magic plants are cool! And https://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/ for old school D&D stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on reaching Z! Your theme certainly gave you some diverse and interesting bits and pieces to share!

    ReplyDelete

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...