Sunday, May 26, 2024

May 26– "King Lear" 1.1 by William Shakespeare (1606)

 JEJ, Wooooo

May 26– King Lear 1.1 by William Shakespeare (1606)

Summary:

Commentary: Remember that time we had like, the third from last scene of this play with no context and it didn't make sense? It's okay, we've got scene one now. Whatever, Elliot. 

I want to be Hal Holbrook. He gets to wear his goofy jacket, stand half on a desk in his house next to modern art and a pencil sharpener? sewing machine? and talk about theatre, that sounds great. 

I think this is the most elaborately staged non-movie Shakespeare I've ever watched. Most of the actual stage productions I've seen are black box or not much better. This one even has some light pyro! It makes it a little easier to follow, I think, particularly the costuming. 

 I feel like John Cleese was channeling JEJ for his Tim The Enchanter, lots of looonnngggg syllables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...