Sunday, June 2, 2024

June 2– “Profession Of Faith Of A Savoyard Vicar” by Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762) translated by Robert Berman(?)

 Looks thicker, more like vicar!

June 2– “Profession Of Faith Of A Savoyard Vicar” by Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762) translated by  Robert Berman(?)

Summary: I exist, and stuff exists.

Commentary: This was weirdly appropriate for the start of pride month. Discussion of nature and morality, marriage. 

Pull quote: "In the first place, I know that I exist, and have senses whereby I am affected."

I like to think of it more as, "If I don't exist, what's the point of doing philosophy?" but close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...