Saturday, June 1, 2024

Reflections on Week 21(May 20 to 26)

  Link to readings

Can we just skip to this week's reviews?

Quick review on this week's readings:

May 20 Shakespeare's Sonnets: 3/5 Not the sonnets I would've picked, but I can't complain too much.

May 21 "An Essay on Man" by Pope: 0/5 Fuck your didactic essay-poem.

May 22 I Promessi Sposi by Manzoni: 3/5 We finally get chapter 1!

May 23 Poems by Hood: 3/5 It's Rent!

May 24 Wealth of Nations by Smith: 2.5/5 As I said in my comments, this one really straddles the line between "no, duh" and informative.

May 25 "Heroism" by Emerson: 0/5 It's the opposite of Heroism. If you told me this was satire, I'd believe you.

May 26 King Lear by Shakespeare: 3/5 Two part ones and two Shakespeares! This week almost had potential. 

Weekly Average: 2.1 This was a real rollercoaster.

Overall Thoughts on The Project:

Dear Dr. Elliot, how can you put "Heroism", "An Essay on Man", and "The Poetic Principal" in the same collection?

I know we're not supposed to agree with everything in here, and part of it is supposed to show development of thought, but some of these are aggressively bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...