Wednesday, June 26, 2024

June 26– From "Beowulf" translated by Francis B. Gummere

 Beowulf in Old English

June 26– From Beowulf translated by Francis B. Gummere 

Summary: Beowulf fights Grendel's mom

Commentary: I don't think I've read this translation of Beowulf before. Seems like a pretty good one. I like the "bone-ring" kenning for vertebrae, not a translation I've seen elsewhere.

Kind of surprised we got this fight instead of the Grendel fight. I think that's the more common choice for "if you only read one part of Beowulf" but not a bad choice. 

Currently trying to talk my wife into reading Beowulf with me since she likes The Lord of The Rings so much. Maybe that'll be a blog feature next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 28– From "The Voyage of The Beagle" by Charles Darwin (1839)

  A Famous Beagle June 28– From The Voyage of The Beagle by Charles Darwin (1839) Summary:  Darwin moves into the sociological part of his s...