Friday, January 17, 2025

Casually Gaming Classics

I spent some time tonight prepping to run Winter's Daughter, a one shot adventure for Old School Essentials. I played it once, but this is my first time DMing the system. I think old school roleplaying games dove tail nicely with the whole liberal/freedom angle of the blog. Especially compared to D&D 4+ and Pathfinder 2, I think the players have a lot more freedom to creatively solve the problems. A lot of more modern ones always like you're just doing little video game cutscenes between combat encounters, which are very "hit it with big numbers" heavy. The old-style games put more emphasis on exploring, puzzle solving (again, using your player brain, not just rolling your "solve puzzle" skill), dodging or talking your way past fights. I wish I'd done a bit more prep, but I'll see how it goes. Gives me a free post for tomorrow at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bacon's Essays (1625? Edition) Dedication and 1 (Truth

Bacon's Essays (1625? Edition) Bonus:  Somehow, we were assigned  A Few Good Men  in 7th or 8th grade. Maybe it was just excerpts? Summa...