Wednesday, July 29, 2026

I guess I should review The Odyssey movie

 Let me start by saying that I think Christopher Nolan is the most overrated director/writer/producer in movies today. Not the worst, just... kind of okay, but treated amazing. 

I will follow that up by saying that it was not even remotely accurate. Like, "loosely based on" would be appropriate. Also, Nolan really wanted us to know he read the Wikipedia pages for The Sea Peoples, Xenia, and Late Bronze Age collapse (we gotta talk about your title case rules, Wikipedia). Seriously, it's like the Netflix thing where you have to repeat yourself 6 times so the people folding laundry in the other room know what's happening. This post would be 100 pages long if I went over all the changes, so let's just go with, "WTF YOU CUT OUT THE NO BODY JOKE!?" and leave it at that.

Several The Odysseys worth of bytes have already been written about the casting. Lupita Nyong'o did fine. Double casting her as non-identical twins was questionable, but she acted well. Black lady as Hellen of Troy not an issue when your cast is multi-racial as a whole. Elliot Page, also non-problematic. Matt Damon ughhhhh. Does not have the gravitas to pull off Odysseus. Tom Holland literally just plays himself. Anne Hathaway, good job. Zendaya worked as this version of Athena, who was not particularly similar to the original, but fine in this version. Robert Pattinson was not having a good day. Usually a fan, but he was just vaguely off here.

For all that, I respect the actual, physical film making that went into it. Practical effects, minimal CGI, dozens of people running around doing stunts, all that stuff. I would rather go see a mediocre "real" movie than whatever green-screen fest Disney is planning to subject us to next. I dunno, soft recommend? Most people aren't as picky as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I guess I should review The Odyssey movie

 Let me start by saying that I think Christopher Nolan is the most overrated director/writer/producer in movies today. Not the  worst , just...