Friday, April 12, 2024

April 12– From "I Promessi Sposi" (The Betrothed) by Allessandro Manzoni (1827) (K is for Knocked Out)

No music

April 12– From I Promessi Sposi (The Betrothed) by Allessandro Manzoni (1827)

Summary: Lucia gets kidnapped.

Commentary: This is the third or fourth time I've had an excerpt from this. It's not bad, but trying to read a novel in semi-random chunks once every couple weeks is not really a great way of doing it. If I hadn't read the Wikipedia summary, I don't think I'd have any clue what was going on, who half the characters were, etc.

Today's letter doesn't actually appear in this passage, but I thought it was a fun bit to make work.

 After a few moments of agonized struggle, she seemed to become quieter; her arms sank by her side, her head fell backwards, she half opened her eyelids, and her eyes became fixed; the horrible faces which surrounded her appeared to mingle and flock before her in one monstrous image; the colour fled from her cheek; a cold moisture overspread her face; her consciousness vanished, and she fainted away. [...]

‘The ——! she seems to be dead,’ said one of them: ‘if she’s really dead!’

‘Pshaw!’ said the other: ‘It’s only a swoon, such as women often fall into. I know well enough that when I’ve wanted to send another, be it man or woman, into the other world, it has required something more than this.

"Women just get knocked out at random. They have couches for it in their bathrooms."

They just treat her being a generic damsel in distress as if it's real, it's funny.

2 comments:

  1. "Women just get knocked out at random." LOL
    And good job finding an excuse for using the excerpt you want on the day you want. =)
    https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2024/04/magical-botany-k.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of a fun puzzle, since I (mostly) don't get to pick the readings. Most of them have been fairly easy so far, everyone once in a while I have to get creative.

    ReplyDelete

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...