Wednesday, May 8, 2024

May 8– "The School for Scandal" by Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1777)

 The scene from a 1975 PBS adaptation

May 8– The School for Scandal by Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1777)

Summary: If your husband thinks you're having an affair, you have to (act like?) you're having an affair to comfort him.

Commentary: I've said it before, but I think coming in at the middle of plays is harder than the middle of novels. This one was funny enough, seems like generic classic theatre plot #252B (The affair), but reasonably executed. Bernard Behrens is in it, and also in the Star Wars radio drama I talked about the other day. Excellent use of music. I'd watch the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2– From "Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar" translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough

I love this guy's outfit July 2– From Plutarch’s Lives: Caesar translated by Dryden and edited by A. H. Clough Summary: Caesar changed t...