Saturday, June 7, 2025

Ben Franklin: The Morals of Chess

 The Morals of Chess

Summary: Chess is good for you.

Bonus: Let's see how long I can stay on Zapp Brannigan.


Commentary: Ben's writing about Chess tonight, but I think most of his advice about being a good sport, following the rules, etc. is applicable to most games. But for my pull quote, I'm going to go with:
be induced more frequently to choose this beneficial amusement, in preference to others which are not attended with the same advantages

That's a big part of why I started the blog, to try to spend more time reading good stuff and less scrolling Reddit or whatever. I think it's been reasonably successful. It comes and goes, and tends to do better when I have a defined project.



No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson (1948)

"The Lottery" Bonus:   Live fake horse racing! Summary:  Rock flies, somebody dies.  Commentary:  This story sucks, and it has suc...